Management myths that are best dispelled right away
Before talking about various methods and techniques that help more efficiently solve managerial problems (and not only managerial, but basically any), it is worth identifying all kinds of mistakes, myths and misconceptions that give rise to erroneous management strategies.
After all, as Peter Drucker said, “There is nothing more useless than effectively performing work that you do not need to do at all.”
For convenience, myths are grouped into three groups: myths about the employee, myths about the leader and myths about the governing and managed systems as a whole.
1. Employees should be selected according to psychological qualities, respectively, you need to use psychological tests.
Most ordinary professions can be mastered regardless of the psychotype. Instead of psychological tests, it is more advisable during the test when hiring to give the applicant tasks similar or close to those that will arise at his workplace.
2. Each employee must cheer for the company.
Fierce commitment is often a sign of a totalitarian religious organization, and there is no need for a regular organization. In addition, one extreme in a critical situation easily replaces the other.
In a regular organization, it is enough that employees are satisfied with the salary and working conditions, provided that the employees give the desired result.
3. Each employee should offer ideas.
Approximately 10% of people from a random sample can get decent solutions to creative tasks of medium complexity, based on their natural abilities. The remaining 90% either directly refuse to decide, or justify for a long time why they will not decide, or offer super-weak solutions – “just to get rid of” […]. Naturally, in a particular case, the ratio may be different: 86% and 14%; 92% and 8%, – I’m talking about the order [Vikentiev I.L. Creative Technology # 1: Natural / Natural Creativity].
The data obtained indicate that the vast majority of people cannot and do not want to generate ideas. Thus, demanding new ideas from ordinary employees, you only increase the nervousness of the staff, in return receiving semi-obvious ideas in the best case, and in the worst – a tortured triviality.
Yes, you should be open to the ideas of employees, you should encourage them, BUT NO DEMAND!
4. It doesn’t matter to us how the employee will produce the result.
This means only one thing – you do not control the process, i.e. you don’t know what contributes to the result, what interferes, but most importantly, you cannot transfer technology from one employee to another, if a successful specialist leaves, you can’t get the result until you find an employee with the same qualifications who wants to work in your company for the proposed salary and on conditions that suit you. And this, you see, can take a considerable time. Meanwhile, in the same McDonald’s you can completely replace the entire restaurant, and the result will not be much affected due to the fact that all production procedures are spelled out to the smallest detail. Thus, the management knows exactly how the contractor will get the desired result.
5. The result depends on how the employee’s “reasoning” works. This is from nature.
“With a good method and a not very talented person can do a lot. And with a bad method, a brilliant person will work for nothing ”
As you can see from the excerpt, good technology will help if the employee does not have the necessary “thought-out”, but is ready to honestly work on the technology.
6. The employee must constantly evolve.
The employee must be profitable so that he can do it, he must master the efficient technology developed for this position and act in accordance with standards.
Over time, technology changes and employees have to relearn. To expect that an ordinary employee himself will strive to learn new things about the profession, he himself will offer ideas, to put it mildly, naively. And relying on this as a factor in competitiveness is generally deadly for business.
Myths about the leader
7. A good leader can ignite any employee.
The time of the Inquisition is long gone, so no need to burn anyone. Just give the employee a clear instruction manual and provide a decent reward, preferably slightly above the market average. If this does not help, change the employee.
8. The main quality of a leader is charisma!
As Igor Leonardovich Vikentyev wrote, charisma is a teenage illness of business.
Strategic planning, setting up business processes – all this requires serious knowledge, skills. Some leaders are scared by the amount of necessary knowledge, and often all kinds of trainers try to use it, who promise to put leadership skills and charisma in one training.